Sunday, February 3, 2013

Giant snowman and giant cake


Last Monday was a nice holiday. Jared and Lauren were both still feeling not so great so we spent most of the day just relaxing here at home.  After a bit though we all needed to get out. There is a 30 foot tall snowman in Orem close to Target.  We had some other errands that needed done too...so we just decided to do them while we were out.  First we went past the giant snowman.  Then some people ran in Target while others sat in the car.  Connor was sleeping and Bradley decided to stay too.  Since it was so cold we left the fan running while those guys ran in to keep some warm air moving.  Then we went up to Winco to use the 10 dollar coupon...since we forgot it on Saturday.  We all sat in the car while Alan ran in.  I did have to run Lauren in once to go to the bathroom.  We ran the fan for part of the time too.  Alan was pretty fast, but when he came back out the car wouldn't start.  We tried to jump the car, but it didn't work.  We were thinking that the car would have to be towed.  We called Jeff and got a few numbers from him and we call some places.  The car place said it was probably just the battery.  Alan went out and cleaned off the terminals since they were pretty corroded...and then we just had to wait for someone to come back to their car and be willing to try and help us.  We had parked in a different place than usual, so there were 5 cars around us instead of just 2 where we usually park.  Three of the 5 cars' drivers came back at the same time.  The nice lady next to us helped us out and we got the car started with a better connection.  One of the other drivers was waiting around to see if it worked and see if we got helped.  We went by the big snowman again (Connor was asleep the first time by, and we were driving almost right past it) and  Joann's on the way home so I could get some yarn, but Alan didn't turn the car off.  We haven't had any problems with it since.  Alan didn't think the fan would run the battery down like it did, but then he remembered we also have day time running lights that we can't turn off.  We are grateful to all the people who helped us on Monday.  Probably not the best to have the sickies out in the cold car for so long, but it was a change from the house...which was needed.

Connor was sleeping in the car the first time by, but got to see it the second.  The hat is a refrigerator box.


Relaxing on Dad's big puffy coats!


Tuesday Jared was still feeling pretty sick, so he stayed home from school.  Brad, Connor, and I went to preschool.  Jared stayed here and before Alan left he taught him the Tower of Hanoi puzzle.  Jared did it several times...the last time using 7 cup/ rings.  Jared was pretty bored all day.  Lauren's day is so short it was pretty much like one more vacation day.  I made 4 batches of fondant that night.

Wednesday even though Jared's voice was still pretty much gone he went to school.  Brad, Connor and I went to the library.  There was also Ready to Learn.  I tried to get some more done on the cake for  Sunday, but just made simple syrup.

Thursday when we went out to the car our whole sidewalk was a sheet of ice!  We had gotten freezing rain that started sometime after 7:30 am and before 8.  Alan decided that he should walk these guys down to school.  It took them 50 minutes to get to school.  They were all falling down like crazy...even Alan fell hard once.  It sounded like even though they were falling all over they had a fun time getting to school.  We went and helped in Lauren's class...and were able to drive down.  There were a ton of helpers there and 2 of us at the same center.  We were writing sentences and sound spelling some animals.  I baked some chocolate cakes (8 inch squares) and my visiting teachers came in the afternoon.  We also worked on Lauren's animal report a  lot...and cookie club requirements.  In the evening there was a Relief Society Meeting we all went to.  Alan got there not too long after it got started, but they all decided to stay and play with the other kids who were in the nursery.

Friday I went and helped in Jared's class and Bradley and Connor went to a friend's house.  In Jared's class it was Australia day, so all their centers were about Australia.  At my center we painted boomerangs with Aboriginal art.  It was messy, but fun.  I wasn't feeling well on Friday at all.  I was all achy especially in my head and I had a runny nose.  After getting home from the school I sat down to feed Connor on the couch and he fell asleep, so I did too.  Lauren and Brad just played and were great.  Connor slept about an hour and was just waking up when the phone rang.  It was Grandma Atherton.  She said they were in town and could come by and get the kids for a bit so I could work on the cake.  We hurried and ate lunch and we and got Jared.  Grandma and Grandpa came by around 2:30 and visited for a while.  I had started baking  the lemon cakes already.  I had them ready to go so when one came out I could put another one in.  Around 3:30 they all left and came back just before 7.  It sounds like they had a pretty fun adventure.  First Grandma and Grandpa took everyone to the Creamery on 9th and they got ice cream cones.  Then they went to see the big snowman.  Then they got to go to Krispy Kremes and watch them make doughnuts and eat one....and a dozen to bring home.  Then maybe they walked around DI for a few minutes.  They got pizza and root beer and brought it home to eat.  They all had a blast and enjoyed being spoiled.  I was able to get a lot done on the cake while they were gone...all baked and stacked and covered the 8 inch layer.  After these guys went to bed I stacked and covered the 6 inch layer.

Saturday morning I slept in a little...which helped.  I still didn't feel great but I did feel better.  I got the 12 inch layer filled with cream cheese filling and covered.  I still didn't have a great plan for decorating, but had to start on something.  I got the bottom layer sponged painted and we cleaned up a little.  Jeff and Elizabeth came and babysat while we went to the temple with Keegan...and those guys needed a place to play without cakes in the way.  It was a really nice temple session at the Mt Timpanogos temple.  I had never been on a session there before.  It is really nice.  We stopped and bought more extract on the way home so we could paint more and hurried home to rescue Jeff and Elizabeth.  These guys had a great time.  They got to do an experiment with Jeff and make plastic and play and watch Tangled while we were gone.  We helped these guys get to sleep and then finished the cake.  Alan made and cut out the temple stencils and painted the middle layer of the cake while I worked on the tie.

San Diego

Mt. Timpanogos


Sunday we went and heard Keegan speak in their ward.  He gave a great talk.  They also had a missionary returning who spoke too.  Between the 2 of them they had people filled into half the cultural hall.  After sacrament meeting we went to the Brigg's house and set up the cake and had a delicious brunch.  We stayed and played and visited for the afternoon.  I made a frilly scarf while I was there and the other guys played and had fun.  When we got home Lauren finished her animal report, we had a quick snack, and went to bed!

Keegan is headed to San Diego Spanish speaking.  He leaves February 6th.

Back side

If I had know exactly how it would turned out I would have put a pocket on the top tier, but oh well.  Since I didn't have a great plan I'm pretty happy with how it came together.

We saw a cool ice sculpture on the way to the Temple on Saturday.  We took these guys by it on the way home on Sunday.  It has changing lights inside it.




No comments:

Post a Comment